Friday, January 29, 2010

On Ghanaian women

Today was my last work day.I said goodbye to everyone and went around the hospitals and clinic I worked at during the past few weeks.It has been such a fantastic experience.I learned more in one month than in a few months of school.Coming here was the best thing I could do.

During the past few weeks I observed how life works here.Working in hospitals and maternity clinic and therefore being surrounded by women made me realize how much they work here.Much more than most men.They are basically responsible for everything: children, food, housework, work, taking care of the husband, cooking.....They often wake up around 4.30 or 5 am and don't go to bed until late.They are everywhere: at the market, on the road selling products or carrying water and other loads.Meanwhile most men can be seen sitting under a tree sleeping, hanging around or playing cards.Not all of them but many.
Women (and even some men) here are very much aware of the situation.Every time you talk to them they will tell you men are lazy.Women carry all the burden but men control the money.A pregnant woman at the clinic has anaemia and a very high blood pressure as a result of all the pressure put on her everyday as well as lack of proper food.In order to know her blood type lab tests must be made.Yet the husband won't give her money although.He spends money on baby clothe for the future child but won't make sure his wife or the baby are alright.
Gender-violence is also exists.Poverty leads several men to abuse their wives.Many men do not have jobs while women can more easily be traders at the market.Because men are desperate for money and job they turn against women.
Several husbands also work far away and only come back on the weekends.Sometimes this means that some of them also have a second family or girlfriend at their work place...which can increase the risk of HIV.
Not all men are like that here, but women do suffer a lot.The health risks are numerous.Today I saw a list of all the major cases women's clinics receive: besides minor diseases anemia, typhoid, abdominal pains, STDs, HIV and respiratory problems are the most common.Teenage pregnancy are also common as young women whose parents are poor find a boyfriend who will take of her.But many of the men are exactly looking for a wife yet and certainly do not want a child.
I heard so many stories....Women here are very much aware of the rights they have but do not enjoy.I admire them very much.

In a happier subject, his weekend I'm going to the Shai Hills and Aburi, in the Central Region.Monday: time to pack as I'm leaving on Tuesday morning....

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!
    Sorry I didn't come here before :(
    It's just that I had so much stuff happening over here and then I simply forgot to check your blog but I just remembered and thought I would have a look to find out that you already return home next week.

    I really admire you for what you have done. I guess it's not really easy to decide to do such a job or got to such a distant and also differnt place like Ghana!
    Well done!!

    Looking forward to talk to you when you will be back in Canada :)

    Happy weekend!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always nice to read the things that you write when you're there.

    Wonderful post, Marie. I'm Zeya btw ;)

    ReplyDelete