Friday, January 22, 2010

Africa through hospitals

Working at hospitals is one of the best ways to learn about some of the country's and the continent's problems.You see everything about malnutrition, poverty, HIV/AIDS, self-abortions, refugees etc..Doctors and patients take the time to talk about Ghana's problems or what they see everyday.Poverty and HIV seem to be the biggest problems and seem to be at the root of a lot of other issues.All week I experienced women being disappointed when they were told they were pregnant.Very few people also know about their HIV status and when you ask them about it they look a little taken aback if not appalled by the question.But then I saw several HIV tests being done here (it is encouraged if the woman is pregnant) and one turned out to be positive.Then comes the huge problem of what to do with the baby since mother-to-child transmission is possible.At the malnutrition ward last week, 2 year-old Lucy was infected through mother-child transmission.

Hospitals have little money, especially rural clinics.Today, one of the nurses had to take stitches
out but didn't have enough light.Because she didn't have anything else, she simply took her cellphone out and asked the patient to hold it and simply used the phone's light.Somehow it was both funny and sad.They also safe everything they can.Not needles obviously but band aid etc.

Today I met I Liberian refugee who is now a midwife at the maternity clinic.She earns very little.Her husband was killed during the war so she and her children fled to Ghana.She told me she was making dinner when the soldiers attacked her family.They killed the husband and threw
boiling water on her 1 year old son.He survived but is obviously badly scarred.Now she has a job here but still the money is barely enough (50 Ghana Cedis, which pays for rent and some food, though hardly if you have children.Rent is usually 30 Cedis for a 2 room shack.Transport can be expensive for them and few people can afford a car).All the Liberian refugees here are trying to get to North America and Europe.One of the nurses actually presented me to her son and she really wants me to be his wife.

You also learn about beliefs and traditions, including witchcraft (which quite a few people still belief in. I've seen a couple of so-called witch catchers).Religion plays a HUGE role here.Every morning, when hospitals open, all patients and staff pray together.At least three times a week, there is a church service on the main square.People dance and sing until 10 pm.It is frowned upon not to go to church on Sundays.

This weekend I'm going to Cape Coast and Kankum National Park.It's always nice to get out.Work is fantastic but it's not always easy.I also can't believe I only have ten days left.The first week was slow because you get adjusted to everything but the last two weeks have gone by so fast.Now I do things on my own, have a morning run through the countryside, go to the market.It's a small community here so a lot of people now us obrunis.Now whenever I go for a walk or to the market people wave because they know me not just because I'm white.

Oh and the food here is very good.Heavy for good.You need a lot of energy to get through the very hot days.I don't know what cold is anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment