Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Whistle while you work

Things are still great in Rwanda and I can't believe I only have 2 weeks left or so.
I'm very busy with work: sponsoring children, establishing a little library, organizing crafts and painting classes for the kids, teaching children, making baskets with the women and teach them some English, telling them and younger girls about gender-based violence and HIV, helping around at the organization's office...The days are full.I'm also planning on organizing a party/dinner for the kids and the women before I leave. Maybe even a football match if I can find a field.
I visited a woman the other who has HIV and currently has TB.She is extremely thin and stays at the hospital so her kids stay at home all day all by themselves (they can't afford the school fees and the father left). They are extremely poor.I don't think I've actually ever seen such poverty.They basically live in a one bedroom shack. There is only one bed, no kitchen or table.They live next to a polluted pond so it is not the greatest environment for someone who has HIV (malaria and all kinds of diseases).One of the boys now comes here everyday and has lunch here so we keep an eye on him and make sure he gets food.

Working with the women is fantastic: they are single mothers or have HIV (often as a result of the genocide) or come from poor broken homes with abusive husbands so it's really nice to spend time with them.They still remain positive about everything which is quite inspiring.
This weekend, another volunteer and me are planning to visit a memorial in Butare, southern Rwanda. Apparently it's pretty grim as the bodies have been preserved.I also found several genocide/conflict prevention centres around Kigali. They have great libraries and offer free lectures so I go there when I have some free time.

So this is basically what I do during the week.Lots of work but absolutely rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment