Friday, January 15, 2010

The Rehab Center

I worked for three days at the rehabilitation center at the Children's Hospital.It's both a great place and a sad one.All the kids from the malnutrition ward go through rehabilitation.They come as often as they can until they're are doing well.Some of the chubby kids I saw were in a bad state only a few weeks ago. So hope is there.I saw some before/after pictures and the difference is astonishing.Every Friday they all have a complete check-up.It's a great out patient follow-up system.

On a sadder note, I also saw my first HIV/AIDS cases in children.Two of them are probably not going to live very long.They are barely two and already very sick.The children all caught it from their parents.It's sad to see children with HIV because they can't talk yet to tell you where it hurts so they just cry.There is not much to do except treat them as best as one can for whatever disease, skin problem or rash they have for the moment.

This weekend I'm going to Kumasi (an old Ashanti tribe town) with a couple of friends.It's nice to take a break on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment