Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Thoughts on Ghanaian Chaos

A little like New Yorkers and Italians, Ghanaians seem to like chaos.First, they will just p[ark and drive anywhere.They drive like mad men and accident occur regularly.Everyone travels by taxi or tro-tro.Anything alive or not gets on these things.Today, I had a hen next to me and a friend of mine even told me that she once saw a goat being put at the passenger seat.
Second, there's litter everywhere.Don't even think about trying to find a garbage can.It breaks my heart every time I have to throw something away but there is no choice.
But somehow the chaos doesn't disturb me.I know it's dirty and overcrowded but in a strange way that's part of the excitement.The noise, dirt, loud music, cars honking, volubility is just part of Ghana.It's wondrously chaotic.

If you ever go to a country that has tro-tros, use them (carefully as some are about to fall part).It';s the best way to meet people when you're a foreigner.Yesterday I was standing at the back of the line, everybody let me in before then because they were so happy to see a foreigner on a tro.Then you exchange a few words, email address and phone numbers.It makes them happy.And you get to know the country in a very different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment